Sunday, December 03, 2006

Agile Quality

I never thought I would start writing about work in my posts but here's my very first one. We've switched to using Agile methodologies and 4 months in, I'm still concerned about the quality of code we're churning out.

My team initially got a free lunch since we were supporting an already matured product and management didn't want us to invest the time in an automated test framework. Having switched projects, we're now behind the rest of the teams in the quality learning curve.

It's also an area I struggle with as a software developer. There's more to it than just targeted testing. One of the members on my team summed up the right QA mentality quite nicely:

When you're testing you don't want to just test the functionality works, that's boring. You want to get creative and think about the different ways you can make it break, that's a lot more fun.

Anyway, my reason for starting this rant was to post this video by Ken Schwaber on Agile Quality. I haven't watched it yet, but I will soon.

Feed: Agile Planet
Title: Ken Schwaber talks about agile quality

Ken Schwaber talks about Agile Quality: A Canary in a Coal Mine.

No comments: