Monday, January 22, 2007

A Change In Career

I don't usually have a lot to say about my personal life but today was the first day I started in my new job. Same company but I no longer work as a Software Developer - I'm a Project Manager now!

It's been over a week since I've known and it took a lot of self discipline to not let that one out. If someone had asked me 3 months ago about being a PM, I probably would have laughed it off but here I am in my new position.

There were a couple of key moments that made me realize that being a PM is what I want to do. Firstly, a certain PM at work planted the seed in my head and then my manager brought it up to me in the same week. They both thought I would make an excellent PM based on the work I was doing (feature-leading but focusing more on the project management activities).

Clearly I liked the project management aspect and the customer-facing role but I also enjoyed the uniqueness of everyday and not knowing what issues I would have to deal with next. I thrived on the chaos. I asked myself - "Would I really want to go back to being a code monkey if I'm no longer a feature lead?" I couldn't see myself doing it so that's how I knew that I needed to jump at the PM opportunity.

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I'm sure all of the code monkeys in the company appreciate your endearing name for them, too!

:-P

Roopak Majmudar said...

You mean others at the company have the official title of "code monkey" too? I thought I was the only one! :D